Thursday 5 May 2022

Perry Plastic Afghan Tribesmen Step by Step

I'm speedpainting some of the lovely Perry plastic Afghan Tribesmen models for games of The Men Who Would Be Kings and so I thought I'd capture the process in a step by step stylee.

I did it a bit quickly on my phone so a couple of the pics are a bit blurry - but you should get the idea.

I'm painting these as Ghazi Fanatics so giving them all white clothing - which speeds things up a bit.

First spray white.
I just used some cheap white primer from Boyes.


Paint the flesh bits with a flesh colour of your choice. I used the OOP GW Tanned Flesh which gives a ruddy darker tone that I think works for Afghan tribesmen.


Then cover the whole model in Vallejo Sepia and leave to dry over night.


Same stage - no idea why i took two pictures.


Most time consuming stage - highlight all the white clothing with white.


Paint the metals - GW Leadbelcher for the swords and other steel shield studs and rims and GW Retributor gold for the pommels, guards and other shield bits.


Then Contrast Snakebite Leather for leather straps and a couple of the shields


Contrast Wyldwood for the other shield, the insides of all the shields, sword handles and one of the beards.
The other beard is Contrast Goregrunta (which gives a nice "henna" look - popular with some Afghan tribesmen).


Then some washes. Agrax on the skin, Nuln Oil on the Steel and Gryphonne Sepia on the gold.


And that's it, job done. 
I'll base them when I've finished the unit of 16.
Very quick and dirty, but gets them bashed out quickly.

For non Ghazi versions I've previously used the GW Contrast Wyldwood, Goregrunta, Templar Black and Skeleton Horde to give some variation to the clothing.

Not going to win any prizes, but they'll look fine en masse and at tabletop distance.

5 comments:

  1. You made that look really easy! Great walkthrough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite striking results.

    have you tried any of the contrast skin colors? Might speed things up even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got Gulliman flesh which I don't think is dark enough for the Pathan skin tone.

      Delete