Saturday 27 February 2021

Age of Arthur Warhammer Historical Weekend 2007

Whilst tidying up some files recently I cam across some old pictures that predate the creation of this blog.

So I thought I'd share them.

These were taken way back in October 2007 at Wrhammer World in Nottingham. The Age of Arthur supplement for Warhammer Ancient Battles had been published not long before and the supplement's authors Steve Jones and James Morris staged a themed campaign weekend (as part of a larger Warhammer Historicals weekend). This was I think the first ever historical wargaming event I took part in and it was one of the best too.

I can't really remember much about the details of the games except that they were great and in one of them, possibly the first, my Warlord and my Opponent's Warlord both died simultaneously in a duel in the river before the game began.

These first few I think are me playing a warm up with Rob Broom's blue Late Romans on Friday night before the event. I'd barely played WAB at all before this, so wanted a practice and Rob and I were both at GW, so it was easy to pop through from Bugman's with a pint for a game.





This I think is the Saturday proper.
Looks like James Morris Partizan Green T shirt in the background. And it's *possible* the tattooed elbow belongs to Jim Sweeney as it is one of the laws of me going to any WAB event that I *will* play Jim at some point during the proceedings.






Steve scratching his head on the left as he tries to remember why he thought introducing a bear into things was a good idea.





As well as standard battles there were I think some special scenarios recreating parts of the Arthur legend.
I think there was one involving stealing a pot from Ireland..?


See, told you there was a bear.



The boat I *think* belonged to Lawrence. I'm sure whoever it was told me it was made from a Playmobil pirate boat.

These are pictures from the Sunday.
Imagine that, a whole weekend of gaming!







I'm pretty sure that Red Dragon flag is Jim Sweeney's - I told you it was the law we had to play one another.



That looks like Lawrence's Saxon army. His gorgeous painting of the lovely Musketeer (now Footsore) early Saxon range were what tipped me in to this period.





It was a brilliant weekend and set me properly off down the historical wargaming path and started many great wargaming friendships that endure to today.

9 comments:

  1. A great looking weekend always feel it a shame GW became too commercial. A pretty good rule set although I’m struggling to remember when I last played them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GW were well in to their commercial period by this point. I know, I was running Mail Order at the time :)
      WAB isn't without its flaws, but in period/book/supplement games are great fun.
      You should expand your Lion Rampant Arabs into a WAB army.

      Delete
  2. Very, very cool images of what I'm sure was a great day. No surprise with the title of my own blog, but WAB was the first wargame I ever played - 2006 or so. A lot of big names there in the pictures. BTW, Tom, pardon if you mentioned this to me before, but did you attend the 2013 WAB GT in Nottingham?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Dean I never played a GT, it was always the themed campaign weekends and events rather than the tournaments that I played in

      Delete
  3. Hi Tom, yes it is my elbow, and what a weekend that was! We had three a side in the big game on the Sunday when I faced you with my standard bearer. I made some good friends that weekend who I played again and again at Warhammer World, Hot Lead and Cold Steel, and James Morris's campaign weekends. Thanks for posting mate, I still miss Ibn Coldir and his arabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd know that elbow anywhere :)
      My mate has just started a Christian El Cid army, so it's possible Inn Coldir will stride firth again after lockdown.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant looking armies, thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete