Friday 2 September 2022

Project Pict (2)

Started some quick and dirty work on the Picts.

First, spray. I used the three Halfords matt Camouflage colours (khaki, dark brown and green plus Army Painter Leather Brown). The round bases are temporary for painting - they'll later get mixed on to the multi bases.


Next block in the base colours. I've gone for a pretty limited palette of brown, greens, off whites and ochres. I've added a few brightly coloured edges to robes and capes in some cases. I *may* add some checks in to later models (though tartan is of course a much later Scottish thing). I'm wanting a simple, humble (and easy to paint) effect. Characters will probably get fancier clothing if we ever get there.


Base colours finished, it's an all over wash of Vallejo Sepia. This batch seems to be drying shinier than I remember, I'm sure it's usually lovely and matt. Just slapped it all over everything.


Then a tidy up by highlighting with all the base colours.
Bish, Bash and very much, Bosh!

I may go back and give another highlight to faces - or possibly not. They're not going to win any prizes, but it's a pretty quick process. But given that I'll need four or five units of 24 for an army (plus some cavalry, skirmishers and an elite unit or two) quick and dirty is what's needed. Nice bases and shields plus a decent flag will do much to lift the finished unit. 

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff….and I was just thinking about how I put my newly purchased Picts/welsh together 👍

    ReplyDelete