Thursday 12 November 2015

All Quiet on the Hobby Front

Hello loyal readers. Things have been a bit quiet over here of late. This has been partly due to being quite busy at work (we relaunched our website this week) but mainly is a result of home improvements.  Tom’s Toy Soldiers Towers is having an extension to the North Wing. This will result in a small den for the fruit of my loins to enjoy, a downstairs toilet and a greatly expanded kitchen area. Sadly the games room of my dreams will have to wait for ten or so years until the offspring vacate the premises and I can claim the den as my own.

The current stage of developments means we have no kitchen and the new kitchen is occupying the dining room and the contents of the old kitchen are taking up the sitting room. So I have nowhere to hobby. And with nowhere to hobby I have nothing much to blog about. I did enjoy a fun game of Lion Rampant last week, but as the computer with the image editing software languishes behind and beneath the new kitchen I cannot, alas, share the pictures with you.

This is all a bit frustrating and the work is likely to carry on for the best part of a month (finishing before Christmas, Mrs Tom’s Toy Soldiers insists, otherwise we’re going round to the builders for our turkey apparently).
So I’ve been musing about what to do when hobby space and time are once more available. In no particular order:

Darkest Africa

Finish a couple more explorers and some jungle terrain and then play some Adventures in Jimland games and run a game or two of T&T for the chaps at the Ilko Gaming Hut.

10mm Dux Bellorum

This stalled but I’m sort of itching to finish off some late Romans and play some games of this

Lion Rampant

After last week’s game I’d like to paint up a French force to oppose my English. The Chevauchee lists from WSS 78 look like fun and I’d love to get my hands on some of the Claymore Castings crossbowmen.

40K

Son and heir is playing in the schools league in the new year, so I’d like to sort out a decent 600 point force of Orks and give him a decent game or two as warm-up practice

Koreans

I found these while packing up for the kitchen dismantling and am vaguely interested in finishing them off and playing some games, but then I’d also need to do some Japanese to take them on, so it seems unlikely

Frostgrave

I want to play more games of this, but the boys have lost interest and I never finished painting my warband.  Should probably try and get down to the club where I believe a few folk are playing it.

CoC

Gen Ballroom and myself are keen to play and I really only need to dip about four riflemen to get a game in. Maybe one to shoot for over the Christmas hols.

Of Gods and Mortals

I enjoyed playing this but would like to add a few more soldiers to give slightly bigger games.

Men Who Would Be Kings

I’m excited about this set of Dan Mersey rules for next year and would like to get some models done before they’re released. OG Pathans are apparently cheap but nice and for the British there’s quite a few nice ranges.

Song of Drums and Shakos

General Ballrooom is back in the painting saddle once more so I’d like to revive our abandoned (because he selfishly had a stroke) Waterloo Scots Greys idea.

Musketeer Late Romans

I really must finish these off, but the lack of a medium sized battle ruleset to replace WFB is putting me off. Maybe if Andy Hawes finishes his lists for W&C I’ll get the urge to tackle these.

What’s noticeably missing from this list is any Warhammer. For the first time in the 18 or so years since I came back to the hobby I’ve no desire to paint any soldiers for WFB.
So well done on that one GW.

3 comments:

  1. A good list and know the feeling about GW, for fantasy we are restricting ourselves to KoW and Skirmish based games rather than creating new stuff. But there is so much great stuff out there I am not sure I am missing it. Good luck with the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a list! Very much looking forward to The Men Who Would Be Kings myself and also hope to have some figures ready for the release...unfortunately, I'm easily distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, I have finished the Romano-British and (very) Late Roman lists for W&C. They are available on the Scarab forum or you can drop me an email and I'll send you a copy. I have Saxons done too... :-)

    ReplyDelete