Monday 21 September 2020

Making 28mm walls

 The Chain of Command game with martin revealed the paucity of my collection of terrain for WW2 gaming.

So I decided to rectify that. I have plans to order some and scratchbuild a few more houses, but what I really felt I lacked to start with is walls (and hedges and fences, but we'll come to those).

So I decided to start by fettling some simple rendered walls - these feel kind of generic Norther France to me so they'll do for a start, and they're quick and easy.


I used cork for these, as recommended by the excellent Matakishi's Tea House

First take your cork tile, a steel ruler and sharp knife.


I measured a 2cm strip (measure twice, cut once) and cut it off.


Then I cut the strip in half. The tiles are 12" square, so each strip can be cut to make two 6" walls. You could make three 4" or  four...well, you get the idea.


Basing. I starded by cutting a cork base but decided that, unless I was prepared to cut the edges to an angle (and I'm not) they'd be too obvious on the battlefield.
Fortunately I remembered I had some craft sticks (tongue depressors, or large popsicle sticks if you're of an Amercan persuasion).
Even more fortunately these ones are 6" long too. Ideal. 


I used my sharp knife to cut roughly 45 degree angles at the ends to make sure I can butt the walls together at corners.


Then I used SperGlue to stick the wall in place.


It didn't take me long to fettle up several feet. I got carried away and made a gate for one.
Then I found a piece of square MDF and added a wall and a gate to make a walled garden or orchard.

You'll also see I've been working on  house too.

2 comments: