Friday 30 August 2019

Chain of Command Campaign (8)

Another chance for General B. and I to continue our CoC campaign as Steve was preparing for yet another interview in order to get his 4th, or possibly 5th new job of the year.

The American forces are falling back in disarray in the face of the German counter attack and have now been caught in a flanking attack whilst attempting to set up defences on the outskirts of Boisclair.



Learning from my mistakes I pushed forward with the Americans, firing whenever possible.



One German squad was caught in the open, and despite the arrival of a Stug the forces of Uncle Sam wiped them all out.

Unfortunately this didn't result in the German Force Morale dropping quite as precipitously I had hoped.


In the village my mortar threw out entirely ineffectual fire. How I wished I'd taken the .30cal instead.



The other full strength US squad forced the attacking Germans to take cover.


However after sneaking round the back I made a fatal error. Not wanting to get caught in another firefight with the superior German weaponry I tried to push on. But couldn't resist taking a pot-shot on the way.



Inevitable the shooting had no effect and the movement roll was poor. So the squad were stranded, looking down the barrels of not one, but two MG42s.

And then Ballzimmer rolled 2 6s and got to go twice.

My squad was pinned and them massacred where they stood.



There was nothing left but for yet another withdrawal.


A great game - and one where (at least at first) aggressive US tactics forced the Germans on to the back foot.

Same result though. And so now it's on to the end game in the middle of Boisclair itself.

And now a sepia version of one of the above pictures, just because I'm pleased with how it looks


5 comments:

  1. Can't beat a good bit of hot CoC action. One thing I've learnt from playing this game (and Combat Mission on the PC) is smoke is your very good friend. If in doubt lobbeth the holy smoke grenade and then bugger off sharpish on 3d6 - better to have an extra bit of shock than lots of dead figures. Mind you is a bit moot if the oppo gets a double move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, smoke grenade, going tactical, or just rememberig my plan and not stopping for a needless pot-shot would all have been great choices. But what really did for me was the double 6. No coming back from two rounds of MG42 fire at short range in the open.

      Delete
    2. As I only have a German force at the moment I am usually the one doing that dastardly deed, can be quite unsettling can't it!

      Delete
  2. Great report. And i do feel (and recognize :-) ) your pain. Ending up in the wrong place when facing multiple German MGs do hurt in chain of command - as it should. /Mattias

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great report Tom, I hope to be getting my CoC out on Wednesday evening ;)

    ReplyDelete