Wednesday 23 May 2018

Harpies

Moved this one over here. Just to make our TMP chumps life more fun.


Five Wargames Foundry harpies to add to the OGAM forces.



Some single shots





As I was finishing this last one I realised that I was subconsciously painting a tribute, or more properly un homage, to flame haired Gallic screen siren (!), star of  Engrenages (Spiral) and future Mrs Tom's Toys Soldiers* Audrey Fleurot.



These were odd models to paint. They have a Heavy Metal Album Cover vibe about them, a whiff of Kerrang circa 1983, as if the sculptor's knowledge of female anatomy came from the extensive study of Pat Benatar fan art.
I'm not sure what 12 year old me getting in to the hobby of toy soldiers would have thought about 40 something me painting nipples on 28mm breasts and applying washes to miniature pubic hair. 40 something year old me certainly feels distinctly weird about it.

I realise there's a sub set of gamers who think there's nothing wrong with collecting "erotic" female miniatures, but it's not my version of the hobby.

Over on TMP there used to be (and possibly still is) a board called something like "Needs More Boobies" or an equally puerile title. I once ventured in, in the interests of research you understand, to discover that the vast majority of content came from the man name-checked in the header of this page - Tango01. So apparently when he's not stealing content from other gamers he spends his time glopping off to 54mm anime French Maid sculptures.

On the other hand they're the nicest Greek style harpy models out there and arguably pretty representative of the mythical creatures so I'm happy to have them in the force, though I'm not sure I'll be rushing off to buy any more.



*Madame Audrey Toy-Soldiers has a ring to it I think.

3 comments:

  1. Can't see the pictures from work - I'll look later. I agree with you about the erotica, especially as one reaches an age where "young" is under 40. ;)

    My compliments on your choice of bride. I look forward to the BBC broadcast of the nuptials and parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those figs paint up pretty well. They also hold up nicely after all these years of being in production.

    ReplyDelete