Tuesday 4 September 2018

Of Gods and Mortals - Celtic fun and games

James came around to the Soldier Shack, bearing his collection of Celts, for a game of OGAM.

He bought the soldiers, I provided the flat surface and scenery.

James had a fertility goddess, Tailtiu with a bunch of Fir Bolg whereas I had the Morrigan, Slaine and some proud Celtic warriors.

 Hideous Bag Blokes

 Noble Celts

 Fir Bolg Druid

 Slaine bars the way

We played a scenario from the Celts supplement that required the Fir Bolg to cross the river.
Naturally I dropped the big lad in their way.
There then followed a Druid arm wrestle as the Fir Bolg shaman popped a wood up where none had been and I retaliated by moving my Celts where I wanted them.

Then the game began.

Egged on by their fertility goddess the Fir Bolg shambled forwards.


Slaine decided to have it out with the Fir Bolog hero.



Unfortunately this didn't go as planned. James rolled a 6 and I rolled a 1 and Slaine went bobbing off downstream.


With the big lad out of the way hairy Fir Bolgers swarmed across the ford.


So I set my dogs on the hero.


And threw in Fergus for good measure.


Fergus proved altogether more heroic than Slaine and set about heroes and Fir Bolgs alike.


Meanwhile the sneaky fertility goddess had parted the river so more of her hirsute followers could cross. So I sent the Morrigan over to sort them out.


The bloodbath continued at the stream.


Whilst the deceptively peaceful Tailtiu bent the waters to her will.


The Morrigan however unleashed a fearsome storm of plague on the Fir Bolg and (with the aid of some nobles) wiped them out.


However I was losing the ford.



Finally, fed up of sending feckless men to do a woman's job Tailtiu crossed the stream and struck down Fergus herself.


The huge Fir Bolg warhounds munched the Celtic slingers.


And the Morrigan, her followers almost all slaughtered, took her deadly dance elsewhere.


A great little game. As I've said before I really like to Song of... mechanic that drives OGAM. Balancing your risks and choosing when to gamble make for a great, immersive skirmish game.
James' models (the Fir Bolg are Alternative Armies, the Celts a mix of GB and Foundry I think) looked brilliant.
I'm now considering a small force of Celts of my own. NorthStar has some lovely Slaine/Conan looking Celts in the pipeline that I think would make for a splendid little force.

4 comments:

  1. I keep promising myself I will get a game of this in one day!. Great looking game, the minis are lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little game, and if you've already got some ancients or Dark age models in your collection then add a god and a hero or two and you're good to go.
      Credit to James for the brushwork.

      Delete
  2. i have to find the time to play a game of OGAM in a near future but i'm still building my armies...
    Can't wait but so many things to do and so little time
    Eric aka nervisfr on the LAF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I know that butterfly behaviour, guilty of it myself. Fortunately in this case James provided all the models. I just had to roll dice.

      Delete