Sunday 20 May 2018

Tavronitis bridge, Crete at Partizan 2018

On the 77th anniversary of the start of the battle of Crete I was lucky enough to be invited by James to help out with his game showcasing the fighting around Tavronitis bridge  at the start of the battle.

My only contribution to the game were to paint some goats, some oil barrels and a Stuka.
All the rest of the terrain and models were by James, Sam and Mike.

Not much else to say really, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

These first few are of the set-up of the table, so not with everything yet in place.






Pictures of the finished table (and some gaming shots) start here:



In the village of Tavronitis Greek Partizans have already begun capturing paratroopers.






Worst. Boyband. Ever.


The full table



I painted the Stuka with the yellow nose.








These are shots of the game in progress in the morning. We used Chain of Command. I say "we" I left it to the people who know how to play (Sam and Mike) and instead spent the morning chatting and shopping. Play to your strengths I reckon.






The final (successful) assault of the paratroops on the New Zealand defences around the RAF camp.


Unfortunately due to a breakdown in communications at Tom's Toy Soldiers Towers I had to leave at lunchtime, so couldn't stay and see the arrival of the Matildas.

A really great morning out. Partizan is a great, great show very lucky to have it so close, and to be invited to help stage games like this.

More pics from other games to follow....

5 comments:

  1. What an EPIC game. HUGE and beautiful. A great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful set up, so impressive. I wanted to ask about the Tavronitis Bridge model, do you know who built it? I'm looking to scratch build it myself and am looking for dimensions etc. Thanks in advance for any info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Chum James Morris built it. He used commercially available MDF kits as the basis - pretty sure they were Sarissa kits. The pontoons he carved from foam I think.

      Delete