Monday 20 January 2020

Chain of Command - showing Steve the ropes

General Ballroom and I love Chain of Command. We've had lots of fun whipping our CoCs out in the Ilko Gaming Hut when Stephen wasn't looking.
However Steve has always been unimpressed by WW2 gaming.

Anyway, the allure of WarCry having faded thee Sherwood Hucknall and Ilko Team need a new project so we decided to let Steve see what he was missing out on.
General B. set up the table and provided the Krauts, I rocked up with my Yanks.
I reminded myself to go easy on Steve as it was supposed to be a learning experience for him and if i just wiped the floor with him he wouldn't want to play again. Fortunately he's better at games than me, luckier than me and I'd completely forgotten how to pay with Americans.

We played Patrol (I think) and I didn't take many pictures, but here they are

The Americans jumped off into a field covered by bocage.


With another squad hunkering down behind a wall.


The third squad deployed into a building and spent the rest of the game being chewed up by MG42 fire. I had forgotten the "fire and move" thing about Americans and had jumped in to cover straight away.

Fortunately Steve is a naturally aggressive player and charged his Germans forward.


The spearhead group found themselves in a wood - under my mortar. Where the kills and shock steadily piled up.


Meanwhile behind the wall, shock was mounting on the Americans as the tripod mounted "buzz-saw" (guided by the Senior Leader) did it's grizzly work.


See, here they are, feeding endless bullets into it's hungry insides.


Eventually I remembered to move and rapidly redeployed, firing as I went.
I still forgot to use smoke grenades or anything, so the butcher's bill was high but as we weren't plying a campaign we could ignore the brutal death count.

Eventually I forced the Germans to zero morale, though mine was a perilous three by that stage.

All good fun and Steve enjoyed it so much he's ordered some French Foreign Legion as our next stop will be the Western Desert.

3 comments:

  1. Looks nice I keep meaning to have a go at CoC but just seem to keep playing bolt action lazy familiarity I guess but it means we hardly need to look in the rule book 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally think CoC is a better game and us more challenging and involving than BA. But BA is definitely a quicker, easier "throw down and play game. Nothing wrong with that, they just do different things.
      CoC is actually relatively straightforward once you've played a couple of games.

      Delete
  2. Looks great Tom and another recruit to wave his CoC about.

    ReplyDelete