Friday 19 April 2019

Chain of Command Campaign (6)

Several months on, General B and I got back together to get our CoC's out and continue our campaign.

In the last game my advance had been rudely thrown back by the Germans, and so, seizing the day, General Ballzimmer  has ordered the Heer on to the counter attack.

My force was really rather battered after the last game - in the end I amalgamated my remaining men into just two squads at almost full strength, rather than take three bashed up ones. The Germans have only lost a couple of men!

We played the Probe scenario - so all the Germans had to do was get a team off my table edge.
I hadn't read this in the scenario, so rather foolishly didn't have my JOP's opposite the shortest route from the German ones.
Fortunately General B has been making barbed wire - so I chucked a load of that in the way.

 Note barbed wire between house and table edge

Sadly the German support roll was high enough the they'd have a StuG along for the ride.
*sigh*



Realising I had little that could harm the assault gun, and that all he had to do was drive it off my table edge to win - the German commander gunned the engines and raced up the road.



However, lucky rolling meant I had a Cain of Command dice! Ambush!


Rather predictably, instead of launching a missile right up Fritz's exhaust pipe my brave team missed.

Desperately I bought some more men on, then forgot to put them on tactical and so the MG42 took a couple down.


The bazooka team desperately stalked the tank, hoping for anther shot, but sadly a three was rolled and Klaus Der Tanker rolled the StuG off the board and claimed the victory.


This was a fun but quite short game. All over in a few phases -.prolonged only by the fact we'd not played for several months so had to look everything up.

However, despite it being short and there being not much in the way of actual fighting it as great to play. The campaign really makes you think about how to use your men - not just throw them on and hope for the best as you'll probably need them alive for the next game!

I've now called for reinforcements. Which will get me back to almost three full squads (though I may deploy one without BAR.
.
Looking forward to the next game!

4 comments:

  1. Nice report Tom, we've played similar games, but like you say, in the context of a campaign it's probably best to preserve you men and let this one go. You could even let it go earlier and get the next campaign phase in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think if we'd played more recently and been familiar with the rules we may well have cracked through that game and then had time to start another.

      Delete
  2. You didn't use the picture of the backblast from the bazooka :-(

    ReplyDelete