Monday 8 January 2024

Lord of the Rings Campaign: Ambush in Ithilien (Take Two)

 A few weeks ago we played the Ambush in Ithilien scenario as part of our ongoing campaign. It looked splendid but due to the ineptitude of the participants (me and General Ballroom) it wasn't the closest or most exciting of games. So we decided to have another go after reading the rules and looking things up.

This all happened in the rather hazy period between Christmas and New Year that I like to think of as "the festive perineum" so my memories are a little imprecise of the exact details, but hey, you're really only here for the eye candy rather than my inane scribblings.

Once more the two Mumaks strode forth.


Protected by Serpent Warriors.



Lefty got a head start on account of me winning the previous scenario.


Despite a lot of shots hitting the nellies they plodded resolutely on and refused to stampede.
 
Meanwhile the Serpent Lads went Ranger hunting.


An Eagles eye view shows the grey beasts making good progress.


Despite lots of twanging from the undergrowth.


The Serpent arrows (my dice) were running hot and Rangers fell like wheat before a scythe.



A lucky shot caused Righty to stampede. General B. was hoping he'd crash into the other Mumak, but I'd pushed on with Lefty and so the warbeast simply ran into the woods instead. Trampling a few Haradrim soldiers on the way.



Other Haradrim continued the grim task of cutting down Rangers.


The Nellies closed in on the exit line as the hobbits looked on. (I think Gollum may have attempted a charge, but soiled himself instead).


The first Mumak sped off the board. And despite some more ineffectual shooting his brother warbeast followed suit not long after.


Victory once more to the forces of evil!

That was a better game. I still think General B. failed to maximise the benefits of his Rangers. I think he was so keen on the first "free" round of shooting that he hamstrung his ability to hurt the Mumaks later on. I was also very lucky with my shooting, helped again by Gen. B.'s failure to hide his rangers in the woods.

Worth playing again though as it looked fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment