Saturday 3 February 2024

Warmaster Revolution: Daemons v. Empire

Matt came over for another game of Warmaster. All a bit last minute - we were going to play Xenos Rampant but switched late in the day. So we just used the same armies as last time.

Irritatingly I'd been playing with my camera for close up shots and forgot to switch the settings back so although I took lots of pictures, most are unusable. 

So to explain the battle the Empire made a dash for the hill on their right and formed a pretty scary looking defensible bastion. Meanwhile the pistoliers rushed around my flank and sat in a field, taking potshots and reducing my leadership. Most annoying. The Empire Wizard then got off a cheeky fireball that hit six! different Deamon units causing all manner of confusion and drive backs.

By this stage I was really struggling and only two commanders (one of them a wizard) was making things tricky as far as getting the forces moving. I sort of managed to regroup but my attacks inevitably went in piecemeal and although I was chipping away at the Empire numbers my smaller force was getting picked off in return. 

At some point I realised I'd not actually deployed my Greater Daemon on the table, so he arrived from reserve and started whacking some pistoliers! But they held up remarkably well and eventually ground the big guy down.

Finally the Empire cavalry came thumping in and popped a critical few units taking me to my break point. Victory to the Empire!

A few salvageable pictures (including some from phone)







I'm learning more about Daemons. Mostly learning that they're quite hard to use at 1500 points. So I'm going to put some effort in to making them up to 2K
Matt also now seems to have a handle on how to use the Empire. He managed that beatdown without any cannon, so I'm not looking forward to him adding those (and other things) to grow to 2k

Very much enjoying Warmaster as a game - there's still wrinkles and "GW-isms" in the rules, but mostly it plays well and clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment