Thursday 17 February 2022

Lord of the Rings - The Grey Pilgrim and the Black Riders

Another game played with my mate and his son. After the last game young N. wanted a bit of a scenery project, so I suggested he make Amon Sûl I was mostly joking and we briefly discussed a simple grey circle and a few broken walls to create the effect.

So I was pretty blown away when he turned up with this - he's 12 or 13 (I should probably know this, but I can barely remember my own age or that of my own children) and he'd built it following the journey book instructions. Amazing stuff.


Anyway to the scenario. Gandalf has to take on *all* the Ringwraiths, including the Witch King. He's quite tooled up with magic and stuff but there's a lot of them!

Gandalf faces off against his foes





Everyone scatters


Gandalf gets cornered



Oh dear. Things just got a *lot* harder for Frodo.

We played this through a couple of times. I think we got some rules a bit wrong. But most importantly I managed to get Gandalf killed. Sigh.

Good fun game and Weathertop looked brilliant.

11 comments:

  1. Oh dear that messes the story up ! Presumably evil takes over the world the elves all flee and the shire is turned into a car park ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he probably just had a little lie down and rest. It's tiring saving Middle Earth and he's not as young as he used to be.

      Delete
  2. That piece of terrain is amazing! He has a future in terrain making for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great piece!

    Kids can do great things when you challenge them. Good job, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent terrain work by the lad - a nice looking game piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we played another couple of games on it and I'm sure it'll get a lot more use

      Delete
  5. My goodness, what a prodigious talent! Fabulous build and a dramatic win for the forces of evil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great piece of scenery. Shame about Gandalf, pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'll prove to be just a flesh wound.
      Also I think he only died when I was Gandalf. He survived when we swapped sides.

      Delete