Sunday 20 September 2020

Chain of Command 1940 - BEF against the Blitzkrieg

 Way back at the turn of the year before all this *waves hand vaguely* stuff happened, Martin and I decided we'd like to play some Blitzkrieg Chain of Command.  We had one eye on some gaming around the time of the 80th anniversary of Dunkirk.

Then however all this beastly business intervened. Fortunately we both carried on painting and so actually have finished forces. With a free Saturday and lockdown at least a little eased (however temporarily) Martin came over for a game.

We were aiming very much for an intro/remember the rules type of thing. Martin's not played before and I have at best a tenuous grasp of the rules.

Our first challenge was the gaming table. I have quite a large scenery collection, but when I tried laying something out I realised it was more suited to Middle Earth than Low Countries. Fortunately Martin had some suitable buildings and hedges and between us we cobbled together an approximation of the Belgian border.



I rushed a squad forward to try to seize the farmhouse. Initially I rolled high and they romped in to the house. Then we realised I couldn't run into a house, so they fell short and milled around in the farmyard.

Germans began to appear on my left flank.


And a second squad occupied the orchard.


I ordered the Vickers Machine gun to hold my left flank. However a mysterious senior officer appeared and sent them off in a different direction! A Shabby Nazi Trick!


Taking advantage of nothing appearing in front of them the Germans sprinted across open ground.


Whilst more appeared to back them up.


Over in the farmyard mortar fire and MG34s began to take their toll on the British.


The running Germans were almost at their detination.


Finally the Shabby Nazi was unmasked and Tommies arrived to hit Jerry in the flank.


This however only attracted the attention of more Germans in the wheat field.


The squad in the orchard decided to make a push for the farmhouse.


Sadly at this point the German squad on my left flank was able to sprint from the table and claim the victory.

This was a good fun, gentle reintroduction to Chain of Command. I still really like how it plays and the early war British are a change from the Americans I'm used to.
I think we got a few things a bit muddled, but nothing that affected the game. The Shabby Nazi trick which denied me the Vickers and a squad of infantry at a crucial moment very definitely helped Martin but I also made some mistakes and Martin played well.

We're now thinking of starting a campaign - there are a few for this period in various Lardy Summer Specials.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see but blitzkrieg does need a tank or two !

    ReplyDelete