Thursday 1 December 2016

Congo! a third trip to the jungle

Steve succumbed to a poorly child this week, so General Ballroom and I took to the jungles of Africa for another game of Congo. Despite having painted and assembled all the models and scenery the good General had not actually played the game yet, so this was to be a first.

We were to be playing a scenario of the General's own devising that required troops to climb up a winding tower to retrieve a magic mask.

There now follows some pictures.

 The mystic Tower of Tromney

 Zanzibaris

 The Emir organises his men

 The Zanzibaris are first to fire

 The stout Sikhs fix bayonets

 The slaver column marches toward the tower

 Sikhs face off against the trained troops in the slaver's pay

 More musketry holds forth

 Meanwhile the diplomat (who caries on his shoulder a Siamese cat) urges the young warriors up the tower

 Slightly fewer Sikhs now remain

 The explorers deliver pinning fire on the tower

 The young warriors make good their escape

But walk into a hail of fire from the Askari

In the end my party was almost entirely wiped out and the Explorers held the field.

The scenario we both agreed needed a little more work, but was good fun.
I found the game worked a bit better for me this time - I'm more familiar with the cards, so it flowed a little better. I have to say that the Slavers force I'm using seems a little under-powered against the Explorers - rifles able to fire without reloading are considerably better than Muskets that need to reload, so I end up out-shot. Some of this is clearly just because I'm not very good at the game to be fair.

5 comments:

  1. Another wonderful adventure and I do like that tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael - I am enjoying the games and they look splendid. The Tower is a GW model - one they released alongside the Storm of Magic supplement.

      Delete
  2. Lovely figs and fun-sounding game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gordon, all the figures (and scenery) are General Ballroom's work - I am merely the humble recorder of my humiliations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a really great game with excellent figures and terrain. Just about to start painting my Sikh soldiers. Once they are done I'll have two fully painted columns. Really enjoy playing this game!

    ReplyDelete