Monday 21 February 2011

Dwarf Warrior Step by Step

I've just painted this fellow for a painting competition over on Bugman's Brewery.
And to make my life more complicated I decided I'd do a Step-by-Step guide to how I painted him.
So if you want to know how went from this:


To this:






Read on...

I started wth a black undercoat and used Citadel colours throughout

Stage One



Metal Areas: Boltgun Metal
Sleeves and half shield: Scab Red
Metal Areas: Badab Back wash

Stage Two



Horns: Scorched Brown
Armour edges and half shield: Catachan Green
Beard Bindings and sleeve turnback: Snakebite Leather
Flesh: Tanned Flesh
Boots: Scorched Brown

Stage Three



Horns: Bestial Brown
Shield Edge and design: Shining Gold
Beard: Bestial Brown

Stage Four



Horns: Snakebite Leather
Flesh: Dwarf Flesh highlight
Armour edges and half shield: Catachan Green/Kommando Khaki highlight
Sleeves and half shield: Red Gore overbrush
Beard Bindings and sleeve turnback: Chestnut Ink wash
Shield Edge and design: Chestnut Ink wash
Beard: Devlan Mud wash
Boots: Scorched Brown/Bleached Bone highlight

Stage Five



Horns: Bleached Bone
Sleeves and half shield: Blood Red highlight
Axe edge: Chainmail highlight
Flesh: Dwarf Flesh/Elf Flesh highlight
Axe haft: Chaos Black
Beard: Snakebite Leather highlight

Then I based him with sand which I washed with Brown Ink, before drybrushing Vomit Brown followed by Bleached Bone and then added some static grass.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the result.

Painting and photgraphing Step-by-Step is, however, a pain in the bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment