Saturday 16 May 2020

Lockdown purchases

Always the way, you wait ages for a lockdown order of toy soldiers to arrive then three arrive at the same time!

To be fair I wasn't waiting *ages* for any of these - especially considering the state of the real world at the moment. But I did order them a bit spaced out, so for them all to arrive within a week of one another (two on the same day) caused the current Mrs Tom's Toy Soldiers to raise her eyebrows more than somewhat.

First to arrive from Pendraken is an 8th Army starter set. 



I've long had a hankering to do large scale WW2 desert warfare and finishing off my DAK for Chain of Command persuaded me the time was right to actually order an army and crack on.
I'm intending to use Blitzkreig Commander - I played one game of the second edition may years ago and am familiar with the Warmaster rules on which it's loosely based - but I'm going to get the forces painted before I get the rulebook.

Next up a selection of Greek Gods from SHQ.



I've already got a few of these for Of Gods and Mortals and I like 'em, they're chunky and "fantasy" style.
The chap behind SHQ is retiring for health reasons, so I thought I'd better grab some before that happened. Just as well that I did as they don't appear in the new SHQ website. 
I got the pack containing Hades as I have plenty of dead things for OGAM and one with Hephastos and others, just because.

Finally, a big box from Northstar.


I was waiting for the Wargames Atlantic Afghans to come in to stock as they look ideal for my NWF TMWWBK games. 


Then I saw the Fauns plastic set and decided to add some of those to the order.


And then I thought I might as well get some Artizan Sikh lancers for the Afghans to fight.



And while I was at it a few more Crusader blisters for my Early War British - a Vickers and enough men to finish another squad.


I also got some Renedra plastic bases for the Pendraken WW2 project.



So, quite a haul in the end.
In my defence I'd ordinarily have been going to Partizan this weekend, so a big load of unpainted metal and plastic was always likely to arrive in my shed at around this time.

And speaking of Partizan. Tomorrow is Partizan in The Cloud, an online version of the show. James has written a guest blog about the game he was planning to take and that will appear on this blog at 10 am tomorrow morning.

In addition James is hoping to go "live" on Facebook at 1pm tomorrow to talk about the game, models, rules and scenario.

9 comments:

  1. Woooooo Mrs Tom was right to raise an eye brow, the good thing with show purchases is you can sneak them in the postman stops this smuggling type approach 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, busted! Often from a show I've helped with a game, so purchases just get sneaked in with the game elements I've taken - "No, no dear, I already had these..." :)

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to hearing what you think of those Wargames Atlantic miniatures. Just seen they have some Boxer Rebellion in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look pretty good to me. Might do a mini review. Of course just as I get them I run out of white spray and as my basic plan was spray, paint beards and faces, wash, done I'm a bit stymied!

      Delete
  3. That's quite a haul. will keep you busy for some time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've started on the Pendraken for now - but already distracted by some Perry Naps tht have been in the plastic pile for about ten years...

      Delete
  4. Solid choices Tom, I have quite a collection of 6mm Western Desert stuff too.
    I was also looking at those Afghans this week.
    Hope to see you for Partizan in the Cloud, I may be a little delayed as it starts at 0400 my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did briefly consider 6mm, but TBH there wasn't much price difference to the 10mm and I like Pendraken's stuff

      Delete